What is involved in Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Development related domains to cover and 167 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Development, New product development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
Product Development Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Product Development leadership and develop and take control of the Product Development initiative.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– Do we monitor the Product Development decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
– Are we Assessing Product Development and Risk?
– Is the scope of Product Development defined?
New product development Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase New product development tactics and sort New product development activities.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Product Development project manager?
– How likely is the current Product Development plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Association of International Product Marketing & Management engagements and describe which business rules are needed as Association of International Product Marketing & Management interface.
– Consider your own Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– In a project to restructure Product Development outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Will Product Development deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Debate over Best practice engagements and devote time assessing Best practice and its risk.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Product Development project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Product Development project lifecycle?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– Are we proactively using the most effective means, the best practices and maximizing our opportunities?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Which is really software best practice to us, CMM or agile development?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What are specific Product Development Rules to follow?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Add value to Brand management outcomes and observe effective Brand management.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Product Development project?
– Who will provide the final approval of Product Development deliverables?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Choice modelling planning and assess and formulate effective operational and Choice modelling strategies.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
– How do we go about Comparing Product Development approaches/solutions?
– How to deal with Product Development Changes?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Conceptual economy results and oversee Conceptual economy requirements.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Product Development delivery for example is new software needed?
– What is the source of the strategies for Product Development strengthening and reform?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Read up on Consumer good tactics and interpret which customers can’t participate in Consumer good because they lack skills.
– How will you know that the Product Development project has been successful?
– How will you measure your Product Development effectiveness?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Customer requirement leadership and ask questions.
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Do the Product Development decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
– How is the value delivered by Product Development being measured?
– How do we Lead with Product Development in Mind?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Own Customer value proposition outcomes and point out improvements in Customer value proposition.
– Do Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Design for assembly engagements and arbitrate Design for assembly techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Product Development process available?
– Is there any existing Product Development governance structure?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Map Design for manufacturability adoptions and report on developing an effective Design for manufacturability strategy.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Product Development workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Product Development services/products?
– What business benefits will Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Shape Design for six sigma engagements and create a map for yourself.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Product Development, including any consulting or professional services?
– How can skill-level changes improve Product Development?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Analyze Detailed design document results and research ways can we become the Detailed design document company that would put us out of business.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Product Development in a volatile global economy?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Product Development project?
– How important is Product Development to the user organizations mission?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Engineering design strategies and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Engineering design information.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Product Development processes?
– Are assumptions made in Product Development stated explicitly?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Pilot Flexible product development governance and look in other fields.
– Among the Product Development product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Product Development ?
– Is Product Development Required?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot High-level design failures and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive High-level design decisions.
– In what ways are Product Development vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Product Development process?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Industrial design leadership and look in other fields.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Product Development study?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Product Development Management?
– What threat is Product Development addressing?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Integrated Authority File tasks and integrate design thinking in Integrated Authority File innovation.
– To what extent does management recognize Product Development as a tool to increase the results?
– Who needs to know about Product Development ?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Participate in Integrated product team failures and revise understanding of Integrated product team architectures.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Product Development activities?
– What are the long-term Product Development goals?
– How can we improve Product Development?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Market opportunity decisions and oversee Market opportunity management by competencies.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Product Development models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Product Development is underway?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Product Development products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Design Market penetration governance and intervene in Market penetration processes and leadership.
– How do we keep improving Product Development?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Market research tasks and ask what if.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Product Development been identified and analyzed?
– Why is Product Development important for you now?
– What is Effective Product Development?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Market share tactics and question.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Product Development into the services that we provide?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Product Development forward?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Shape National Diet Library tasks and finalize the present value of growth of National Diet Library.
– How do we manage Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Jump start Phase–gate model outcomes and oversee Phase–gate model requirements.
– Do we have past Product Development Successes?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Depict Pro-innovation bias engagements and improve Pro-innovation bias service perception.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What are the disruptive Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is maximizing Product Development protection the same as minimizing Product Development loss?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Review Process management governance and explain and analyze the challenges of Process management.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Product Development? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Does Product Development analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How can the value of Product Development be defined?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Product Development and Management Association leadership and pioneer acquisition of Product Development and Management Association systems.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Product Development objectives?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Group Product design planning and slay a dragon.
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
– Are accountability and ownership for Product Development clearly defined?
– What is our formula for success in Product Development ?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Gauge Product lifecycle governance and correct Product lifecycle management by competencies.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Product Development product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Product management outcomes and finalize specific methods for Product management acceptance.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– Does the Product Development task fit the clients priorities?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Product strategy projects and point out Product strategy tensions in leadership.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Product Development? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Is Supporting Product Development documentation required?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Focus on Quality function deployment issues and prioritize challenges of Quality function deployment.
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Requirements engineering strategies and stake your claim.
– Think about the people you identified for your Product Development project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Product Development does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Requirements management results and acquire concise Requirements management education.
– How do we Improve Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Start Social design issues and catalog Social design activities.
– Think of your Product Development project. what are the main functions?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Confer over Soft launch strategies and forecast involvement of future Soft launch projects in development.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Product Development?
– Can we do Product Development without complex (expensive) analysis?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Guide Stevens Institute of Technology projects and create a map for yourself.
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Supply chain engagements and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Supply chain is getting what it needs.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– What is our Product Development Strategy?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about User-centered design failures and mentor User-centered design customer orientation.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Product Development project?
– What are the barriers to increased Product Development production?
– What are our Product Development Processes?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about User experience goals and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential User experience information.
– Can we add value to the current Product Development decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Product Development strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– How to Secure Product Development?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Map Verification and validation visions and customize techniques for implementing Verification and validation controls.
– Do those selected for the Product Development team have a good general understanding of what Product Development is all about?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Product Development agendas for the next 3 years?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Trace Virtual product development planning and report on developing an effective Virtual product development strategy.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Product Development processes?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– What are the short and long-term Product Development goals?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Learn from Voice of the customer planning and get out your magnifying glass.
– Is Product Development Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What will drive Product Development change?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Development External links:
What is product development (new product development, …
352 Inc – Digital Product Development and Marketing Agency
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
New product development External links:
New Product Development Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
New Product Development Center
Best practice External links:
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
Best Practices – Independence Title
[PDF]Best Practices 2013
Brand management External links:
Atlanta, GA Marketing and Brand Management – Vehicle Media
Reeder Brand Management
Brand Management Software Customized for Your …
Conceptual economy External links:
Winning Lessons for Entrepreneurs in the Conceptual Economy
Consumer good External links:
Consumer Goods Technology | Solutions for a New …
Retail and Consumer Goods | UPS Solutions
ASD Market Week | Consumer Goods & Retail Expo
Customer value proposition External links:
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition
Design for assembly External links:
Design For Assembly – massmoca.store
[PDF]Design For Assembly – chinaview.store
[PDF]Design For Assembly – terraria.store
Design for manufacturability External links:
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – Sheet Metal Guidelines
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – yuanbao.store
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Design for six sigma External links:
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS)
Detailed design document External links:
Detailed Design Document – TheFreeDictionary
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the …
Engineering design External links:
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
Engineering Design & Testing – ED&T Engineers
Industrial design External links:
What does an Industrial Designer do? – Sokanu
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
Home | School of Industrial Design | Georgia Tech
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated product team External links:
Integrated product team
http://An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Integrated Product Team – GDIT
Market penetration External links:
Market Penetration – Commentary Magazine
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
Niche Market Penetration | Avendesora Trading Limited
Market research External links:
Market Research Future: Industry Analysis Report, …
The Arcview Group | Cannabis Investment & Market Research
Online Market Research | AYTM Market Research
Market share External links:
California Insurance Market Share Reports
http://www.insurance.ca.gov › … › Company and Agent/Broker Information
Title Market Share
Title Market Share
National Diet Library External links:
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
Opening Hours & Library Holidays｜National Diet Library
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
Pro-innovation bias External links:
http://In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
Pro-innovation bias – WOW.com
Process management External links:
Workflow Software, Business Process Management …
Naviant – Business Process Management
http://Management process is a process of setting goals, planning and/or controlling the organizing and leading the execution of any type of activity, such as: a project (project management process) or. a process (process management process, sometimes referred to as the process performance measurement and management system).
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association …
Product design External links:
Introduction – Lean Product Design
Product Design and Development by PDT | PDT
Designit Prototype – Machine Shop, Product Design, Cnc
Product lifecycle External links:
Agile Product Lifecycle Management
Bamboo Rose – Product Lifecycle Management Software
Fabacus | Complete Product Lifecycle
Product management External links:
productboard: Product management software and …
Leading the Product – A Product Management Conference
ProdPad | Product Management Software
Product strategy External links:
Excellent Company | Brand | Communications | Product Strategy
Chapter 12: Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
(7) Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Quality function deployment External links:
what is QFD? (quality function deployment) – IMPACture
Quality Function Deployment | ASQ
QFD Online – Quality Function Deployment
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements engineering (Book, 1996) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Collaborative Requirements Engineering – NIST
Requirements management External links:
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
Requirements Management Policy – RPM-2 RPM-2
Requirements Management. (eBook, 2016) [WorldCat.org]
Social design External links:
DSI / Social Design
Populo Marketing | Social Design Company based in Kent
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
Soft launch External links:
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
OnePlus 5 soon heading to Australia in “soft launch” program
Modern Combat Versus – Soft Launch Trailer – YouTube
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
About Stevens | Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology
Password Service: Stevens Institute of Technology
Supply chain External links:
Supply Chain Advantage
User-centered design External links:
[PDF]Title A user-centered design method for …
User-Centered Design. (eVideo, 2016) [WorldCat.org]
User-Centered Design – Pennsylvania State University
User experience External links:
Google User Experience Research
User Experience | UX Design Tools | Optimal Workshop
User Experience Basics | Usability.gov
Virtual product development External links:
3D CAD, Virtual Product Development – …
http://annapolis.craigslist.org › … › business/commercial – by owner
virtual product development (The Design Society)
Voice of the customer External links:
How To Succeed with a Voice of the Customer (VoC) Program
The voice of the customer (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
Print Page – Voice of the Customer – Plusnet Usergroup