What is involved in Business agility
Find out what the related areas are that Business agility connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business agility thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business agility journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business agility leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business agility related domains to cover and 100 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business agility, Agile software development, Burning Man, Business system, Complex adaptive systems, Complex systems, Complexity, Complexity science, Dynamic decision making, Edge of chaos, Emergence, Enterprise architecture, Holacracy, Model of hierarchical complexity, Organizational intelligence, Participatory organization, Self-organization, Self-organizing, Spontaneous order, W. L. Gore & Associates:
Business agility Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Business agility risks and point out improvements in Business agility.
– Does Business agility include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Do Business agility rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Does the Business agility task fit the clients priorities?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Agile software development strategies and pioneer acquisition of Agile software development systems.
– Management buy-in is a concern. Many program managers are worried that upper-level management would ask for progress reports and productivity metrics that would be hard to gather in an Agile work environment. Management ignorance of Agile methodologies is also a worry. Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Imagine a scenario where you engage a software group to build a critical software system. Do you think you could provide every last detail the developers need to know right off the bat?
– How do agile methods support the principles of Agile Manifesto when using in-house software development methods?
– What are our metrics to use to measure the performance of a team using agile software development methodology?
– What other types of systems might be able to benefit from this component?
– To what level of detail will you capture the requirements, if at all?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– How good are the designers and programmers in the development team?
– Has Your Organization Adopted One or More Agile Techniques?
– How could principles be more precisely measured or valued?
– How do you best coordinate Agile and non-Agile teams?
– Is Internet-speed software development different?
– Will the team be populated by stakeholders?
– What are you planning to complete today?
– Any impediments/stumbling blocks?
– Heritage of traditional methods?
– How do engineers feel about it?
– What Is Extreme Programming?
Burning Man Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Burning Man governance and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Do those selected for the Business agility team have a good general understanding of what Business agility is all about?
– Will Business agility have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do we Improve Business agility service perception, and satisfaction?
Business system Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Business system goals and arbitrate Business system techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– For your Business agility project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Does Business agility create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Is Cybersecurity integrated between business systems and control systems?
Complex adaptive systems Critical Criteria:
Trace Complex adaptive systems management and overcome Complex adaptive systems skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Does Business agility systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Is There a Role for Complex Adaptive Systems Theory?
– What are internal and external Business agility relations?
– What about Business agility Analysis of results?
Complex systems Critical Criteria:
Administer Complex systems engagements and create a map for yourself.
– How much testing is necessary in order to expose all the potential failure modes and situations of highly integrated complex systems?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Business agility? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What are our needs in relation to Business agility skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Business agility processes of our organization?
– Complex interventions or complex systems?
Complexity Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Complexity management and correct Complexity management by competencies.
– The approach of traditional Business agility works for detail complexity but is focused on a systematic approach rather than an understanding of the nature of systems themselves. what approach will permit us to deal with the kind of unpredictable emergent behaviors that dynamic complexity can introduce?
– When observing natural systems, complexity theorists can identify, to some degree, which systems have these features. to apply complexity theory to engineered systems that we have not yet designed, can we predict these features within acceptable accuracy ranges?
– Besides the obvious differences of scale and complexity, does the development of a small Web site call for a qualitatively different approach to information architecture?
– Regarding the way the system is formed and operates and the scale of interest; e.g., are we interested in complexity at the level of atoms or of cells or of organs?
– The complexity of our design task is significantly affected by the nature of the objectives for the systems to be designed. is the task intricate, or difficult?
– To apply complexity theory to engineered systems that we have not yet designed, can we predict these features within acceptable accuracy ranges?
– How can a structural positioning diagram, using complexity and divergence, help frame the issues in our sales and service redesign project?
– What approach will permit us to deal with the kind of unpredictable emergent behaviors that dynamic complexity can introduce?
– How to manage the complexity to permit us to answer questions, such as: when have we done enough?
– It is often said that CRMs complexity is due to its quantity of functions. How do we handle this?
– What type and complexity of system administration roles?
– Complexity: an appropriate framework for development?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– How would one define Business agility leadership?
– What can a complexity lens add?
Complexity science Critical Criteria:
Discuss Complexity science tasks and handle a jump-start course to Complexity science.
– Consider your own Business agility project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Business agility objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Dynamic decision making Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Dynamic decision making failures and change contexts.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Business agility project?
– Does Business agility analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Business agility effort?
Edge of chaos Critical Criteria:
Generalize Edge of chaos goals and catalog what business benefits will Edge of chaos goals deliver if achieved.
– Will Business agility deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Emergence Critical Criteria:
Focus on Emergence issues and improve Emergence service perception.
– What are the disruptive Business agility technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How is the emergence of new CRM solutions offered factored in?
– Does Business agility appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Map Enterprise architecture decisions and figure out ways to motivate other Enterprise architecture users.
– In the case of a Business agility project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Business agility project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Business agility project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Business agility ?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Business agility move?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Holacracy Critical Criteria:
Nurse Holacracy engagements and define what our big hairy audacious Holacracy goal is.
– Is Supporting Business agility documentation required?
Model of hierarchical complexity Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Model of hierarchical complexity quality and learn.
– Why should we adopt a Business agility framework?
– What is our Business agility Strategy?
Organizational intelligence Critical Criteria:
Categorize Organizational intelligence goals and triple focus on important concepts of Organizational intelligence relationship management.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Business agility strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What is the source of the strategies for Business agility strengthening and reform?
– How do we Identify specific Business agility investment and emerging trends?
Participatory organization Critical Criteria:
Consider Participatory organization governance and oversee Participatory organization management by competencies.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business agility forward?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business agility requirements in detail?
Self-organization Critical Criteria:
Value Self-organization projects and devote time assessing Self-organization and its risk.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Business agility experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Is Business agility Required?
Self-organizing Critical Criteria:
Trace Self-organizing quality and triple focus on important concepts of Self-organizing relationship management.
– How will you measure your Business agility effectiveness?
– What are the long-term Business agility goals?
Spontaneous order Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Spontaneous order tactics and look for lots of ideas.
– How can the value of Business agility be defined?
– How do we keep improving Business agility?
W. L. Gore & Associates Critical Criteria:
Jump start W. L. Gore & Associates risks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling W. L. Gore & Associates projects.
– Are assumptions made in Business agility stated explicitly?
– How can we improve Business agility?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business agility Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business agility External links:
A minimalist framework for business agility
How DevOps Can Unleash Business Agility | Pega
Business Agility (@BAgility) | Twitter
Agile software development External links:
What is Agile Software Development? | Agile Alliance
What is Agile? Learn About Agile Software Development
RoleModel Software – Custom Agile Software Development
Burning Man External links:
Burning Man – reddit
Burning Man – YouTube
Burning Man – Official Site
Business system External links:
Certified Minority Business System
Complex adaptive systems External links:
[PDF]Complex Adaptive Systems and Complexity Theory: …
Missouri S&T Complex Adaptive Systems
Complex Adaptive Systems Modeling | Home page
Complex systems External links:
Information Modeling and Control of Complex Systems …
Reliability of Complex Systems, this Issue’s Hot Topic
Complexity External links:
Complexity | Definition of Complexity by Merriam-Webster
Complexity Rooms – Connecticut
Complexity science External links:
Popular Complexity Science Books – Goodreads
Complexity Science – Fall 2016 – Instructure
Quantum Complexity Science Initiative – Home | Facebook
Dynamic decision making External links:
Effects of Feedback Complexity on Dynamic Decision Making
Edge of chaos External links:
LEADING ON THE EDGE OF CHAOS: The 10 Critical …
About | Aid on the Edge of Chaos
The Human Brain Is On The Edge Of Chaos — ScienceDaily
Emergence External links:
Home – Emergence Health Network
Home – Emergence Health Network careers
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture | North Dakota ITD
Enterprise Architecture Standards | CDT
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Holacracy External links:
“House of Lies” Holacracy (TV Episode 2016) – IMDb
Beyond the Holacracy Hype – Harvard Business Review
Model of hierarchical complexity External links:
Model of Hierarchical Complexity – Learning Theories
Model of hierarchical complexity (2/3) – YouTube
Model of Hierarchical Complexity – kort introduktion – …
Organizational intelligence External links:
Organizational Intelligence Surveys: A Smarter …
CompetencyIQ | Organizational Intelligence
Participatory organization External links:
triaxiom9 – We are an open participatory organization
Self-organization External links:
Cognitive Economics: How Self-Organization and …
Self-organization – Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Why Self-Organization Is the Future of Software Development
Self-organizing External links:
Self-Organizing Particle Systems
Self-Organizing Network Models and Planning
Spontaneous order External links:
Spontaneous Order – Home | Facebook
Immanuel Kant on Spontaneous Order | Libertarianism.org
This Video Game Really Gets Spontaneous Order – …