What is involved in Quality Engineering
Find out what the related areas are that Quality Engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Quality Engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Quality Engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Quality Engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Quality Engineering related domains to cover and 161 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Quality Engineering, Agile software development, Engineering management, Enterprise architecture, INFORMS, IT service management, Information security management, Institute of Industrial Engineers, Knowledge management, Manufacturing engineering, Quality assurance, Quality objectives, RACI matrix, Requirements analysis, Software development process, Software engineering, Software product management, Software quality, Software quality management, Software testing, Systems Engineering:
Quality Engineering Critical Criteria:
Unify Quality Engineering tasks and oversee Quality Engineering requirements.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Quality Engineering strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Quality Engineering? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Quality Engineering requirements in detail?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Agile software development projects and raise human resource and employment practices for Agile software development.
– How do you take a methodology, like agile development, that basically evolved in small groups and then scale it up so that it works on projects with hundreds of developers and thousands of users?
– When youre thinking about all the different ways a product may be used in the future, do you stop at three, five, or 10 years in the future?
– What if your business needs are still emerging and certain aspects of the system are rapidly changing or cannot be defined yet?
– Does Quality Engineering create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Who would benefit from the framework(s) and how could it (they) be utilized?
– What if we substitute prototyping for user interface screens on paper?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– Have we developed requirements for agile software development?
– What changes need to be made to agile development today?
– Is There a Role for Complex Adaptive Systems Theory?
– So what do your developers do differently in agile?
– What does it mean to scale agile solution delivery?
– How could a more enhanced framework be developed?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– What are you planning to complete today?
– When using Extreme Programming?
– What is our Agile methodology?
– What Is Extreme Programming?
– What Is Exploratory Testing?
Engineering management Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Engineering management projects and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What is the plan to align prime contractors systems engineering management plan (semp) with the Program Management office (pmo) sep?
– Can we do Quality Engineering without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Does our organization need more Quality Engineering education?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Debate over Enterprise architecture governance and change contexts.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Does Quality Engineering systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– Is the scope of Quality Engineering defined?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
– Are there Quality Engineering Models?
INFORMS Critical Criteria:
Study INFORMS leadership and catalog INFORMS activities.
– Do you have a process for looking at consequences of cyber incidents that informs your risk management process?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Quality Engineering?
– What are the business goals Quality Engineering is aiming to achieve?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot IT service management goals and research ways can we become the IT service management company that would put us out of business.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– What other departments, besides IT, use service catalog as a means of publishing their services in your organization?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks, which is all about are we doing the right things?
– What are the use cases that your organization is targeting currently for its cmdb/cms?
– Is Service Delivery (hardware/software/people) capable of supporting requirements?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– Can the cloud service provider make available an endto-end continuity plan?
– Are you running your service desk or is your service desk running you?
– What do enterprises really want from IT service management ITSM?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– What questions should be asked of a cloud service provider?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– Who gverns an enterprise tool strategy?
– What is A good cloud service provider?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– Quality of Service Met?
– What is ITIL?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Explore Information security management governance and explain and analyze the challenges of Information security management.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Quality Engineering values?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
Institute of Industrial Engineers Critical Criteria:
Guide Institute of Industrial Engineers tactics and report on developing an effective Institute of Industrial Engineers strategy.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Quality Engineering goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Are accountability and ownership for Quality Engineering clearly defined?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Quality Engineering Management?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Boost Knowledge management adoptions and grade techniques for implementing Knowledge management controls.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Quality Engineering leader?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Think of your Quality Engineering project. what are the main functions?
– How do we manage Quality Engineering Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Who sets the Quality Engineering standards?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
Manufacturing engineering Critical Criteria:
Model after Manufacturing engineering strategies and oversee Manufacturing engineering requirements.
– What is the source of the strategies for Quality Engineering strengthening and reform?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Quality Engineering that make it risky?
– Why is Quality Engineering important for you now?
Quality assurance Critical Criteria:
See the value of Quality assurance adoptions and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Quality assurance projects.
– Is the Quality Assurance function recognized to be different from implicit and continuous quality control during fabrication, in that it is discrete, explicit following production, and ignores the sequence or nature of the fabrication steps or processes?
– How do employee selection and development practices, as well as staff performance management, well-being, motivation, satisfaction, and compensation, contribute to the growth of the organization?
– What is your Quality Assurance process to ensure that the large volumes of data gathered in the monitoring process are handled efficiently?
– Have we established unit(s) whose primary responsibility is internal audit, Quality Assurance, internal control or quality control?
– How do you assure that repairs andor preventative maintenance were completed?
– How does improper or incomplete documentation affect disciplinary actions?
– How can we integrate Customer Service into our Quality Assurance program?
– Are Quality Assurance records marked or labelled to ensure traceability?
– Is the system/component adequately labeled for ease of operation?
– Do you keep track of unsuccessfully performed skills?
– Are retention requirements specified for records?
– How will you measure your qa plan effectiveness?
– Is the target achievable by the current process?
– How often are your current policies evaluated?
– Is the system/component user friendly?
– How often are the protocols reviewed?
– Quality Assurance for whom?
– Is the qa plan approved?
Quality objectives Critical Criteria:
Refer to Quality objectives goals and get answers.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Quality Engineering agendas for the next 3 years?
– How do we Improve Quality Engineering service perception, and satisfaction?
– What about Quality Engineering Analysis of results?
– Have Data Quality objectives been met?
RACI matrix Critical Criteria:
Mine RACI matrix outcomes and pioneer acquisition of RACI matrix systems.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Quality Engineering leaders?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Quality Engineering move?
– How can we improve Quality Engineering?
Requirements analysis Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Requirements analysis governance and correct better engagement with Requirements analysis results.
– In the case of a Quality Engineering project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Quality Engineering project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Quality Engineering project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How to deal with Quality Engineering Changes?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Sort Software development process failures and track iterative Software development process results.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Quality Engineering product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Quality Engineering is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– How can you measure Quality Engineering in a systematic way?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Merge Software engineering adoptions and differentiate in coordinating Software engineering.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Quality Engineering products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Quality Engineering moving forward?
– What are all of our Quality Engineering domains and what do they do?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Software product management Critical Criteria:
Depict Software product management results and find the ideas you already have.
– What are the short and long-term Quality Engineering goals?
Software quality Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Software quality failures and correct better engagement with Software quality results.
– Think about the people you identified for your Quality Engineering project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– Are software Quality Assurance tests a part of the general hardware acceptance test on the customers machine before it leaves the factory?
– Do software Quality Assurance test programs undergo the same production cycle and method (except q/a) as the software they test?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Is at least one person engaged in software Quality Assurance for every ten engaged in its fabrication?
– The need for high-quality software is glaring. But what constitutes software quality?
– Does Quality Engineering analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Software quality management Critical Criteria:
Audit Software quality management strategies and pay attention to the small things.
– What are the disruptive Quality Engineering technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we measure improved Quality Engineering service perception, and satisfaction?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Talk about Software testing outcomes and describe which business rules are needed as Software testing interface.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Quality Engineering information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are internal and external Quality Engineering relations?
– Is a Quality Engineering Team Work effort in place?
Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
See the value of Systems Engineering projects and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Systems Engineering.
– When we try to quantify Systems Engineering in terms of capturing productivity (i.e., size/effort) data to incorporate into a parametric model, what size measure captures the amount of intellectual work performed by the systems engineer?
– The pp and the semp define the tasks and schedule for the project and the processes that will be followed to produce the deliverables. once the project is underway, how can you track progress against the plan?
– Regarding the way the system is formed and operates and the scale of interest; e.g., are we interested in complexity at the level of atoms or of cells or of organs?
– The complexity of our design task is significantly affected by the nature of the objectives for the systems to be designed. is the task intricate, or difficult?
– How do you know that your project team members are following the documented cm processes to establish the baseline and control changes to it?
– What happens if new needs (or more likely new requirements) are identified after the final needs or requirements have been developed?
– Do we have confidence in the reliability and robustness of the systems we design?
– Once the project is underway, how can you track progress against the plan?
– Is the funding for the project secure, or is only part of it in place?
– Standards, goals, and appropriate processes been established?
– What is the problem or opportunity addressed by the system?
– How do functions occur between parts of the system?
– Who will use the systems engineering plan (sep)?
– What are the flows between parts of the system?
– What solution options may be appropriate?
– How do we compare with the competition?
– Why model-based architectures?
– Multiple development cycles?
– Why use systems engineering?
– Deliver interim releases?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Quality Engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Quality Engineering External links:
Method Statement – Quality Engineering and Construction
Introduction to Quality Engineering | ASQ
Agile software development External links:
Agile Software Development with Team Foundation …
What is Agile Software Development? | Agile Alliance
8 Benefits of Agile Software Development | Segue …
Engineering management External links:
What is ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT – The Law Dictionary
Engineering Management & Systems Engineering | The …
Engineering management (Book, 1981) [WorldCat.org]
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture – EA – Gartner IT Glossary
Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) | The White House
INFORMS External links:
IOL Home – INFORMS
IT service management External links:
NTT DATA IT Service Management – Login – Dell
ITSM | IT Service Management | ServiceNow
Information security management External links:
CCISO Information Security Management Training …
ISO/IEC 27001 Information Security Management …
Information Security Management IF201.01 – cdse.edu
Institute of Industrial Engineers External links:
Institute of Industrial Engineers at LSU – Square, Inc.
Front Page | Institute of Industrial Engineers
Institute of Industrial Engineers Public Group | Facebook
Knowledge management External links:
Knowledge Management Platform – try.igloosoftware.com
http://Ad · try.igloosoftware.com/Knowledge-Mgmt
APQC’s 2018 Knowledge Management Conference
Knowledge Management System – Login
Manufacturing engineering External links:
Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (NDSU)
Quality assurance External links:
Quality Assurance | AmeriTitle Inc.
Quality Assurance – MNAI-Home
Quality Assurance Job Titles | Enlighten Jobs
Quality objectives External links:
Quality Objectives | Quality Goals | Objectives of Quality
14 Examples of Quality Objectives – Simplicable
RACI matrix External links:
RACI Charting | RACI Matrix
[XLS]RACI Matrix – Medicaid 1115 Waiver, Texas Region 10 RHP
RACI Matrix | Example and Template – RealtimeBoard
Requirements analysis External links:
3.1 Critical Requirements Analysis – Exxcel
[PDF]2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ANALYSIS
[PDF]Systems Engineering Requirements Analysis and …
Software development process External links:
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Software Engineering Services
Software product management External links:
ISPMA – International Software Product Management …
Software Product Management Training by InnoTivum
Software Product Management | Coursera
Software quality External links:
TIOBE Index | TIOBE – The Software Quality Company
Pacific NW Software Quality Conference – PNSQC
Software quality management External links:
Software Quality Management – gurock.com
http://Ad · www.gurock.com/QA-Management/Get-Free-Trial
Software testing External links:
ISTQB Software Testing Certification Courses | SQE Training
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
Software Testing and Deployment | Olenick
Systems Engineering External links:
Engineering Management & Systems Engineering – ODU
What is Systems Engineering
Systems Engineering and Operations Research